Suggested Reading List
Your Cart is Empty
Click here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
- Bastien, James W. A Parent's Guide to Piano Lessons: This booklet, in question and answer format, offers practical suggestions to parents who are starting their child in piano lessons. In addition to advice on selecting a piano, finding the right teacher, and helping beginners practice, there are thoughts on recitals, contests, and festivals. WP29 - Kjos Music Company.
- Branscome, Eric. Music Career Advising - A Guide for Students, Parents, and Teachers: Excellent book about career choices for music. Clarifies the various undergraduate degrees and provides job descriptions. A viable resource for every student considering college!
- Coyle, Daniel. The Talent Code: what is the secret of getting really good at something? How do we unlock it? This book gives a new way to think about talent.
- Ottley, Ron. Now I love music practice: A motivational book for music students. The website provides ordering information and excerpts from the book.
- Schmidt, Elaine. Hey Mom! Listen to This! A Parent's Guide to Music: Covering every educational stage from preschool to college, it offers advice to topics such as choosing an instrument, finding a private teacher, keeping kid's motivated to practice, coping with performance anxiety, musical career options, etc.
- Suzuki, Shinichi. Nurtured by Love: A collection of Dr. Suzuki's thoughts on the ideas that guided his life and work. A classic approach to talent education. ISBN 0-87487-584-6.
- Walsh, Peter. The Non-Musician's Guide to Parenting A Piano Player. A handbook designed for parents of piano students. A must read for any piano student and parent!
- Marks Beale, Abby. 10 Days to Faster Reading. Edited by the Princeton Language Institute. Excellent resource to become a faster reader. Her techniques relate to music making!
- Bastien, Jane Smisor. Notes and Key Signatures: 80 flashcards. Published by Neil A. Kjos Music Company (WP.248).
- Faber, Nancy. Piano Adventures Flashcards-in-a-box: 80 flashcards. Published by Faber Music (HL420218), ISBN 1616771682.
- Hal Leonard. Music Flash Cards: 120 flashcards. Published by Hal Leonard (HL 296034), ISBN 0793577756.
- Hal Leonard. Pocket Music Dictionary. 240 pages. Published by Hal Leonard (HL 183006), ISBN 0793516544.
- L.C. Harnsberger. Essential Dictionary of Music. 336 pages. Published by Alfred Music Publishing (AP 16636), ISBN 0882847287.
- McLean, Edwin. The FJH Classic Music Dictionary.3rd Edition.Published by FJH Music Company Inc. (FJH1149), ISBN 978-1-56939-048-1. An Excellent Resource. A must for every student!
- Carhart, Thad. The Piano Shop on the Left Bank: Discovering a forgotten passion in a Paris Atelier.Intertwined with the story of a musical friendship are reflections on how pianos work, their glorious history, and stories of the people who care for them, from the amateur pianists to the craftsmen who make the mechanism sing. ISBN:0-375-75862-3
For Alexander Technique Students:
- Alexander, F.M. The Use of Self. Orion Publishing, 2001.
- Barker, Sarah. The Alexander Technique: The Revolutionary Way to Use Your Body for Total Energy. Bantam Books, 1991.
- Conable, Barbara and William. How to Learn the Alexander Technique – A Manual for Students. GIA Publications, 1995.
- Conable, Barbara. What Every Musician Needs to Know about the Body. Andover Press, 2000.
- Gelb, Michael. Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique. 2nd ed. Henry Holt and Company, 1996.
- Gilmore, Robin. What Every Dancer Needs to Know About the Body. GIA Publications, 2005. (not only for Dancers, applicable to all AT students)
- Frank Pierce Jones. Freedom to Change: Development and Science of the Alexander Technique. Mouritz, 1997. (formerly known as Body Awareness in Action)
- Frank Pierce Jones: A Technique for Musicians
- Vineyard, Missy. How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery. Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2007.
- Hale, Robert Beverly. Albinus on Anatomy. Dover Publications, 1989.
- Gorman, David. The Body Moveable.
- Kapit, Wynn and Lawrence M. Elson. The Anatomy Coloring Book. Pearson Education, 2013.
- Myers, Thomas W. Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists. 2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone, 2008.
- Netter, Frank H. Atlas of Human Anatomy. Saunders. Any edition is suitable.
- Koch, Liz. The Psoas Book. 3rd ed. Guinea Pig Publications, 2012.
- Levine, Peter A. Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma. North Atlantic Books, 1997.
- Forward, Susan. Emotional Blackmail. Harper Collins Publishers, 1997.